Re: [Orgmode] orgmode and ebib

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] orgmode and ebib
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 22:29:38 +0200

On May 28, 2010, at 10:39 PM, Ali Tofigh wrote:

hi,

i use ebib to manage my bibtex references. it would be really cool if
orgmode could follow links to bibtex entries using ebib. what i would
like is to be able to follow a link such as [[bib:bibentry]] and end
up in ebib, with my standard bibtex database opened, and entry
positioned at the bibentry. can this be achieved without adding
functionality to orgmode?

Very likely, this is very simple to implement - but I don't know ebib and what API it offers to find and display entries. If someone is interested to hack this, look at org-bibtex.e and at the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Adding-hyperlink-types.html#Adding-hyperlink-types

The basic code for this will be very simple indeed, like

(org-add-link-type "ebib" 'org-ebib-open)
(defun org-bib-open (path)
     ;; PATH will be the bibentry key here
     (some-ebib-function-to-find-and-display path))

HTH

- Carsten