Re: [Orgmode] Debate about "One clock per user, but user is identified"

From: Daniel Martins
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Debate about "One clock per user, but user is identified"
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:48:00 -0300

I aggree with Eric.

A collaborative point of view is needed to spread the word of org-mode among a greater set of users.

org-secretary.el from Juan os great but is the start of something more general

I am leading a group of engineers and it is quite difficult  (even among Fress Software people) to convince the use of org-mode despite its several advantages.

Daniel

PS I think the subject of this topic shoud be changed

Org-mode collaborative

is an option

2010/6/12 Eric Schulte <address@hidden>
Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> I don't ask for multiple clocks running simultaneously, but (as I currently
> envision it -- reason for collecting *your* ideas) for an identifier
> [something like `org-user-identifier'] to be added to the clock lines, so that
> we can filter based on the user, when multiple people have clocked in the same
> documents.

I haven't used any of the clocking features, so I won't speak to that
side of this issue, however, I have been using org-mode files as a point
of collaboration on a couple of projects (including org-babel [1]) and I
think a generalization of something like your proposed
`org-user-identifier' variable could be very useful for many of the org
meta-data items associated with headlines.

For example, it would be great to record the user responsible for every
TODO state change, so that something like

 ** DONE Org-babel should work well when indented
    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-06-10 Thu 15:48]

would instead be

 ** DONE Org-babel should work well when indented
    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       by eschulte       [2010-06-10 Thu 15:48]

I think this would be very helpful, and anything that encourages the
spread of Org-mode usage through co-workers is a big win.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://github.com/eschulte/babel-dev/blob/master/development.org