[Orgmode] Re: add a table entry by org-remember template

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: add a table entry by org-remember template
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 06:45:21 -0400

zwz <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAIK, it is now impossible to add a table entry by org-template.
> But I think it is very useful. For example,
> in my private.org, there is a section
>
> * Contacts
>   | name | tel. | email   | addr      |
>   |------+------+---------+-----------|
>   | A    |   12 | address@hidden | somewhere |
>

> If it is feasible with such a template
> ("Contact" ?c "| %^{Name} | %^{tel} | %^{email} | %^{addr} |\n"
> "~/private.org" "Contacts")
> to add new contacts, it would be very nice to organize (e.g. sort) all
> the contacts based on org-table.

One solution would be to use properties to store contact information:

* Name
  :PROPERTIES:
  :NAME:     A
  :TEL:      12
  :EMAIL:    address@hidden
  :ADDR:     somewhere
  :END:

It would be easy to set up a remember template to capture such
information. You could then sort all the headings in the contacts file
by property. And there are other advantages. You could view the
information in contact view or capture it (or a subset) in tables using
dblocks. You could add notes and additional metadata to each contact.
And you could access this data in other emacs modes by using org's
APIs.

 - (info "(org) Using the property API")
 - (info "(org) Using the mapping API")

HTH,