[Orgmode] a better way with babel

From: Robert Cunningham
Subject: [Orgmode] a better way with babel
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:03:22 +0800

G'day All,

I wonder if I've missed something and there is a better way.

Essentially I'm trying to use org babel with R and LaTeX to create figures
with both long and short captions (for contents)

I'd started with:

#+CAPTION: Nice data (filled points indicate less nice data)
#+LABEL:   fig:nicedata
#+ATTR_LaTeX: width=0.98\textwidth
#+begin_src R :file ndata.pdf :width 1000 :height 617 :exports results
  dotchart(data$ndata)
#+end_src

which pointed to the need for long/short captions...

feeling hopeful I tried:

#+CAPTION: Nice data [Nice data (filled points indicate less nice data)]
#+LABEL:   fig:nicedata
#+ATTR_LaTeX: width=0.98\textwidth
#+begin_src R :file ndata.pdf :width 1000 :height 617 :exports results
  dotchart(data$ndata)
#+end_src

but no luck there.

Next effort was to try to use R and LaTex more directly with noweb. I tried
this:

#+srcname: r-nicedata
#+begin_src R :session :file ndata.pdf :results output :exports results
  dotchart(data$ndata)
#+end_src

#+begin_src latex :noweb yes
  \begin{figure}[htb!]
    \centering
    \includegraphics[width=0.98\textwidth]{<<r-nicedata()>>}
    \caption[Nice data]{Nice data (filled points indicate less nice data)}
    \label{fig:nicedata}
  \end{figure}
#+end_src

This does produce the figure and long/short contents BUT ALSO produces this:

#+results: r-nicedata
[[file:ndata.pdf]]

which upon export results in a link and consequently the plot appearing both
in the figure and elsewhere. This second plot is unwelcome.

I've tried assorted :results and :output options but have not found how to
suppress the #+results: but still obtain the figure. I've always used
the :session option.

I've also tried twigging an org-export option to suppress pdf export but the
link is still exported so that is not a solution.

The current "working" solution is to use the noweb approach and then use sed
to clean out the links to the second image-ugly to say the least!

All this with org version 6.36c

What have I missed? What is the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Robert Cunningham