Re: [Orgmode] GTD: Tags or Custom TODO states?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] GTD: Tags or Custom TODO states?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:21:21 +0200

On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Jonathan Arkell wrote:

On Jun 18, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Matt Price wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm going to try to implement David Allen's Getting Things Done
using org-mode, as so many other people have done already.  I'd like
to set things up more or less right the first time, but since GTD is
brand-new to me (just finished the book today!) and I'm still only
barely competent at org-mode, I'm a little anxious about the choices I
need to make.  I think I understand some of the steps I have to take
now, but would love some advice from all the GTD'ers out there.  So
here goes:

Don't be anxious, just do it!  Imagine if I came to you and said:

"I'm going to try to make a 3d movie like Toy Story using (latest- and-greatest-3d-package-here), as so many people have done already. I'd like to set things up more ore less right hte first time, but since 3d animation is brand-new to me, I'm a little anxious about the choices I need to make."

Start Simple. Just get used to the todo state changes, and how they work, then maybe dive into org-remember (not too deep! That whole thing is going through a re-write, so do just enough to get the job done!). This will at least get you through the Collection phase of things.

Next up, learn about Refiling and how that works, then you've got the Process/Organize end of the equation sorted out.

After that, Learn about the Agenda--stuck projects in particular will be a BOON. This will help you in the review cycle, not only weekly, but daily, and perhaps even the higher-level 20-50K feet reviews as your system matures.

But be prepared for the first draft of your system to be exactly that, a first draft. You're just learning about org-mode **and** GTD, both of these things are deep and full of much mojo. So 3 years from now, your approach to GTD, and implementation in org-mode are going to be radically different.

The thing about org-mode is that it starts as being a reasonably functional system out of the box for GTD, but hte more you take the time to learn it, the better you can customize it to make it **your** GTD implementation.

Bernt's Doc has been invaluable to my own implementation process.
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Don't try to do EVERYTHING there, just pick and choose which features you feel you really need.

Cheers!

What a wonderful and true post, thanks Jonathan.

- Carsten

Jonathan Arkell
Tech Lead
Inspired By Drum & Bass, Scheme, Kawaii

p. 403.206.4377

402 -- 11th Ave SE
Calgary, AB, Canada T2G 0Y4

address@hidden
criticalmass.com

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.