[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 18:30:59 +0200

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>>
>> How come some of your rewrites above still use the `org-babel-' prefix?
>> (As a side note, I don't see what Emacs guidelines suggest `ob-' is more
>> appropriate than `org-babel-', and I would personally prefer to retain
>> the latter -- it's much more descriptive.)
>>
>>     Štěpán
>>

> Hi Štěpán,
>
> The guidelines I mentioned (I believe) specify that all file names for
> emacs-lisp files which are part of Emacs must be unique in the first 6
> or so characters.  This is why all "(require 'ob-*)" lines (which must
> correspond to file names) now use ob-* instead of org-babel-*.  Since I
> (like you) prefer the org-babel-* prefixes, those have been retained for
> all function and variable names.

I see. Hm... could you provide some source for that? The only
restriction on file names I can recall is this section from Appendix D
of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

   * Please keep the names of your Emacs Lisp source files to 13
     characters or less.  This way, if the files are compiled, the
     compiled files' names will be 14 characters or less, which is
     short enough to fit on all kinds of Unix systems.

Is that perhaps what you meant? In any case, I see that the
recommendation I quote above would make the file renaming necessary,
too.

(Also, I believe you actually did mention renaming *functions*, which
created my confusion in the first place -- cf. the commit message of
e0e4d76094f26 for example.)

> Hope this explains it, I'm certainly open to other naming suggestions.

It would make a lot of sense to at least still begin the file names with
`org' IMHO, if at all possible.

    Štěpán