[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:27:13 -0700

Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> How come some of your rewrites above still use the `org-babel-' prefix?
>>> (As a side note, I don't see what Emacs guidelines suggest `ob-' is more
>>> appropriate than `org-babel-', and I would personally prefer to retain
>>> the latter -- it's much more descriptive.)
>>>
>>>     Štěpán
>>>

>> Hi Štěpán,
>>
>> The guidelines I mentioned (I believe) specify that all file names for
>> emacs-lisp files which are part of Emacs must be unique in the first 6
>> or so characters.  This is why all "(require 'ob-*)" lines (which must
>> correspond to file names) now use ob-* instead of org-babel-*.  Since I
>> (like you) prefer the org-babel-* prefixes, those have been retained for
>> all function and variable names.
>
> I see. Hm... could you provide some source for that? The only
> restriction on file names I can recall is this section from Appendix D
> of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:
>
>    * Please keep the names of your Emacs Lisp source files to 13
>      characters or less.  This way, if the files are compiled, the
>      compiled files' names will be 14 characters or less, which is
>      short enough to fit on all kinds of Unix systems.
>
> Is that perhaps what you meant? In any case, I see that the
> recommendation I quote above would make the file renaming necessary,
> too.

Maybe that is the ultimate source, this requirement came to me by way of
a recommendation from Carsten when we first discussed merging babel into
the Org-mode core.

> (Also, I believe you actually did mention renaming *functions*, which
> created my confusion in the first place -- cf. the commit message of
> e0e4d76094f26 for example.)

my bad.

>> Hope this explains it, I'm certainly open to other naming suggestions.
>
> It would make a lot of sense to at least still begin the file names with
> `org' IMHO, if at all possible.

hmm, the longest (non-language-specific) file name is already 12
characters long,

(length "ob-tangle.el") ;; => 12

which doesn't give us much room to play around with.  Looking at a
couple of possible prefixes, and the related leftover characters for
differentiating the *-tangle, *-comint, *-ref, etc... core babel files,
yields the following

| prefix   | remaining characters |
|----------+----------------------|
| ob-      |                    5 |
| org-b-   |                    2 |
| orgb-    |                    3 |
| org-bbl- |                    0 |
| bbl-     |                    4 |
| babel-   |                    2 |
#+TBLFM: $2='(sbe leftover (prefix $$1))

#+source: leftover
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var prefix=""
  (-
   ;; length w/o .el
   (- 13 (length ".el"))
   ;; length of prefix
   (length prefix))
#+end_src

Personally, none of the above seem to be particularly superior to the
current naming scheme, given the fact that we need to fit multiple files
behind this prefix.

-- Eric