[Orgmode] Re: [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?

From: Daniel Brunner
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:30:05 +0200

Hello everyone,

thanks for bringing this topic up. I do not want to be misunderstood:
org-mode is one of the greatest things developed the last years. I use
it every day and it is a great help. I also appreciate the work of all
those developers contributing to org-mode / babel.

My setup is: I use the git repository because I like some of the new
features und from time to time I "pull" the new things. Normalley a
"make" does the job and flipping through the log messages helps me to
understand the new things. I use org-mode on my main business machine;
ok, perhaps it is a bit risky. And I try to use as much as possible
"out-of-the-box".

But then my .emacs reported problems: org-babel has changed its place
and the way it is loaded. I found the reason for that in the news
group. But then the nice patch by Eric Schulte for tangling "org-mode"
files doesn't work any more because "org-babel-tangle-langs" does not
exist any more. And David Maus' addition org-atom for generating atom
feeds is broken because there is something with a
org-export-inbuffer-options-extra variable (which is not a org-babel
problem as I suppose).

I know, org-mode is a growing project and I really really like the
org-babel features. But for me it is now not advisable any more to keep
on the master branch. Today I spent several hours for finding the
reasons why something is not working any more. And that is too much for
a productive environment.

Today, I am a bit sad about my broken org-mode installation and I am
going back to the 6.36c.

Kind regards, Daniel.