Re: [Orgmode] Good way to try new org-mode code?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Good way to try new org-mode code?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:00:02 -0700

Hi Nathan,

There are a couple of options here.

If you are only playing around with a couple of functions, or in a
single file, you can interactively evaluate single functions by pressing
C-M-x `eval-defun' with your cursor over the function, similarly you can
interactively evaluate entire files with C-c v `eval-buffer'.  In both
of these cases the interactively evaluated functions will take
precedence over anything loaded on startup, so this is a great way to
experiment with new function definitions.  As a side note, when you want
to debug a function, or closely track it's execution path you can prefix
the `eval-defun' function above (i.e. with C-u C-M-x) which instrument
the function with edebug (the results of which will become clear next
time to use the function).

As for make issues, it is possible to use Org-mode without ever running
make or make install.

I don't know of a way to forcefully reload all of Org-mode, but I find
that evaluation at the function/buffer level is generally sufficient for
my needs.

Best -- Eric