[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:27:31 +0200

On Jun 30, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Carsten, Matt, Scott,

Hi Matt, hi Eric,

Matt, thanks a lot for bringing this up.  This is indeed a very
important and serious issue.  We need to address it.  We need to
step back and reconsider this carefully.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think that Org Babel should give
you enough rope to hang yourself.  But we have to make sure that
this will not happen to a happy and unsuspecting Org mode, or even
an unsuspecting Emacs user who by chance opens a file with extension
.org.

I remember very well when  first realized that shell links could
really affect you badly.  It scared me.

You main proposal was to make Org Babel an optional module.
This will not solve the problem fully, I think, because we also
don't want that people who turn it on automatically commit
to potentially dangerous operations.  There is a lot of good stuff
in Babel which has nothing to do with code evaluation.

Here is what I propose (several items are similar to what Eric proposes)

1. A new variable org-turn-on-babel.  We can discuss the default.
  If it is nil, org-babel should not be loaded.
  A default of t would be fine with me if we implement other
  measures listed below.

This sounds like a good idea to me, and it should address Matt's desire for enabling minimal Org-mode installs. I would like this to default to
t, so that new users can try out Org-babel without overmuch effort.

I'm not clear yet what the point of this is. Unless it is the load time
which is the issue, what else is gained by this variable? In principle
I'm also all for minimalism and modularity, but what does it actually
mean here?

If the effect of this variable is to not load org-babel code at all,
then this needs to be thought about carefully, as it is tantamount to a
statement that all org-babel code is orthogonal to the rest of
org-mode. I.e. core org-mode will not be able to make use of any
org-babel code, because there will always be the risk that the user has
set this variable to nil. Are we sure that we might not want some
org-babel code (e.g. block export or tangling or something) to be used
in core Org functionality?

Like Eric, I agree.

As an example of an area of overlap of core org-mode and babel, I'd been
considering extending the [[shell:]] and [[elisp:]] links that are
present in core Org-mode to support other languages. If that happens it
might make sense to let babel code handle the shell and elisp
evaluation, rather than having that functionality duplicated in the code
base.

:-)  Actually, in this specific area I had been thinking to
removing or at least deprecating shell and elisp links,
because the Org-babel way is much better and clearer to have
that code in a block, rather than hiding it in the invisible
part of of a link.

Essentially I had been envisioning the incorporation of org-babel into
org-mode as the beginning of a phase in which the code bases can
interact and evolve together, rather than as a promise of eternal
orthogonality.

Yes, I agree.  This is definitely the point of this integration.

- Carsten

2. As Eric proposes, a variable similar to org-confirm-shell-link-
  function
  This should by default query for confirmation on any org-babel
code execution, and can be configured to shut up by people who know
  what they are doing.

Sounds good, I think this is a reasonable safety measure.

Yes, I think this is the key. Other than the doubts expressed above I
agree with what Eric wrote.

Dan

3. Not loading emacs lisp evaluation by default.

I would push back on this point.  Largely because we have now crossed
the like to where it is impossible to play with a code block w/o first
dropping down to your configuration files, and evaluating require
statements.

4. A new key in the babel keymap for org-babel-execute-code-block,
  for example `C-c C-v e'.  This should be documented as the default
  key for this operation.

Hmm, I'm less enthusiastic about this point and point 5. I really like how 'C-c C-c' naturally does whatever-I-want given the context in which it's called, and I wouldn't want to lose that intuitiveness. Similarly 'C-c C-o' currently opens the results of a code block, I also find this very appealing as it allows for a uniform top-level interface across an
Org-mode document, be it a code block or a link.

Here are my reasons why I think leaving this keybinding is safe.

1) Unlike with shell/elisp links, the contents of code blocks is almost always visible right under the user's point. So it is less likely to
  evaluate something w/o having any idea what you are evaluating.

2) Adding a protection variable (e.g. org-confirm-babel-eval) means that
  the only users who could potentially evaluate a code block with a
slip of the fingers would be users who have explicitly said that they
  want to be able to easily run code blocks without confirmation.

3) Emacs exposes a number of entry points into code evaluation.  M-!
  allows users to run shell commands, C-M-x evaluate the elisp at
  point, and these have not caused problems in the past.

5. Removing org-babel-execute-code-block from `C-c C-c'.  Inclusion
  should be optional.

6. A section in the manual on code execution and associated security
  risks in Org mode.  This is not only about babel, but also about
org-eval, org-eval-light, shell links and elisp links. I have meant
  to write this section for a long time and would be willing to
  draft it. We could then refer to this section from a couple of
  places in the docs, without cluttering the docs with disclaimers.

This sounds like a very good idea.  I'd be happy to help write such a
section.

The reason for 4 and 5 is that I believe Org-mode users are trained
to blindly press `C-c C-c' whenever they want to update something at
point.  Matt's example of a blog post about `rm -rf' is a very
realistic example for bad code being evaluated by mistake, not even
due to malicious cations.  I belive that a special key for this
action would gove a good measure of protection.

As I mentioned, I personally feel that an org-confirm-babel-eval
variable is sufficient protection. I think it's safe to assume that if
a user has explicitly customized that variable, then they know what
they're doing and trust themselves to execute code responsibly. I think
it's likely that the casual Org-babel user would never customize this
variable, which seems to me entirely appropriate.

This is what I think - please let me know if you think I am overdoing
it.

So to summarize, I think that the combination of (1), (2) and (6),
should be sufficient to protect users from accidental code evaluation. Please let me know what you think, I am of course looking to compromise
and I fully understand that the general consensus may be that we need
more layers of protection.

Best -- Eric

- Carsten