[Orgmode] Re: New to org-capture (and org-remember)

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: New to org-capture (and org-remember)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 09:43:38 +0100

Memnon Anon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'd like to try out org-capture.
> >
> > I've never used org-remember before so I have no templates to convert.
> > Do I make the new ones in pretty much the same way as the manual
> > describes for org-remember?
> >
> > Or should I be patient, and wait for org-capture to stabilise?
>
> Hi,
>
> to quote the fine manual:
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Capture templates") ]
> | You can use templates to arrange for different types of capture items,
> | and for different target locations.  The easiest way to set up such
> | templates is through the customize interface.
> |
> | `C-c c C'
> |      Customize the variable `org-capture-templates'.
> `----
>
> Is your documentation uptodate?
>
> You should find all the information in "9.1 Capture" and its
> subnodes to get you started.
>
> Argh, org-capture.el is not part of the current stable release.
> So, if you want to try, you need the development version, either
> with git or download org-latest (link is on orgmode.org).
>
> If you still encounter any problems, please describe them so the
> documentation can be improved :).

Thanks for this.  I have read the nice docs (and found some small typos
- will send a patch).

One thing immediately struck me: sec 9.1.1. mentions setting:
org-default-notes-file
but I couldn't see that mentioned in the rest of the chapter.  Its
docstring would indicate its needed by remember.el, so perhaps there is
no need any more to set org-default-notes-file?

Stephen