[Orgmode] Re: remember template is slow

From: Richard Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: remember template is slow
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:16:49 +0200

"Daniel J. Sinder" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>     >
>     >     I'm finding that my remember templates are slow to load.  I've got
>     >     a lag of about three to four seconds.  I know that doesn't sound
>     >     like much, but it's kind of puts a kink
>
>     What does "remember templates are slow to load" mean in this context?
>     You mean when you want to enter any new remember item or only the first
>     one? Any delay is normally once only when org is initialised.
>
>     Another thing to look at which crucified my erc (irc client for emacs)
>     performance was flyspell - I had to remove it from my erc setup.
>
>     >     in the workflow.  I use GNU emacs on Windows.  I also have cygwin
> installed, and I have noticed that the problem doesn't occur when using
> cygwin.  Any ideas?
>     >
>     > For what it's worth, I've also had this problem for a while now.
> However, I *do* use emacs w/ cygwin:
>     > Windows XP (w/ Cygwin)
>     > GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>     > Org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.453.g0cd4)
>     >
>     > I suspect (for no particular reason other than disdain for Windows)
> that it is related to poor file system (NTFS) access speeds.  For example,
> maybe org is trying to open
>     > several files to look for TODO keywords and/or tags?
>
>     What makes you think ntfs would be a bottle neck? Bringing religious
>     wars into help discussions is rarely productive and better kept to the
>     advocacy groups ;) People use org on pretty much all mainstream OSen.
>
>     >
>     > Dan
>
> Actually, I should have been more explicit -- I use emacs and org
> *exclusively* on Windows (via cygwin).  In fact, for years now, I exclusively
> use Windows as far as operating
> systems go.  However, not being an OS expert, but just a user, I am
> frequently frustrated by file access speeds.  I have heard (just water-cooler
> talk) that as the registry gets
> bloated over time, NTFS file access slows, having something to do with
> frequent checks of the registry prior to file access.  Originally, I didn't
> feel I understood the issue
> well enough to claim this as a legitimate reason in this forum.  But, seeing
> your (over)reaction, perhaps I should have explained myself better.
>
> Did I bring a religious war into the discussion?  No, I most certainly did
> not.  I didn't mention any other OS's, nor make comparisons between OS's.
> Rather, I suggested a
> possible cause (slow NTFS file access) for the problem that others and myself
> are seeing with org on Windows.  I followed that with a question about
> whether org is trying to
> open several files when calling remember, to see if that would lead to a
> proper diagnosis of the problem.
>
> How did you contribute to the conversation?  I didn't bring up OS
> comparisons -- you did!  Now I know org is used on all OSen.  Thanks!
> If you have nothing to contribute tobago

Without wanting to get into a silly tit for tat match here I would point
out two things :-

1) You said "I suspect (for no particular reason other than disdain for
Windows) that it is related to poor file system (NTFS) access speeds"
... If that is not bringing OS comparisons into it then I apologise. It
seem fairly clear to me that that is exactly what you did.

2) When you asked "what did I contribute", I asked you to be more
specific about "slow loading times" e.g only first time or each and
every time and also mentioned that flyspell can often create large
pauses in buffer creation. Apologies if you feel that request for more
info and suggestion about one potential were not contributing.

> this topic, and can't help solve my problem, then I suggest you reserve your
> accusations for an appropriate forum.
>
> Dan

Best of luck with your issues....