Re: [Orgmode] cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:41:53 +0200

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:55 PM, Mike Benfield wrote:

org-cdlatex-mode subverts cdlatex's normal behavior
in that it doesn't give dollar signs when they're not there.
And on the other hand, org-preview-latex-fragment only displays
rendered LaTeX when the dollar signs are there. I don't know
what other people's usage pattern is, but I read my notes in
emacs with the LaTeX rendered, so I never write LaTeX
outside of dollar signs because that is useless to me.

Could one or the other of these behaviors change?

For me, the ideal situation would be for org-preview-latex-fragment
to work even when dollar signs aren't present,

This would be very difficult to achieve. But note that you can part of it
by setting

   (setq org-pretty-entities t)

This will give UTF8 display of many math symbols - imperfect
though for your example....

To get dollars from org-cdlatex-mode, you could cheat by setting

(setq org-cdlatex-texmathp-advice-is-done t)

very early in .emacs, before any Org mode stuff gets loaded....

HTH

- Carsten

so that for instance
\int_a^b f would render \int_a^b as LaTeX math and leave f alone.
(By the way, right now such an expression renders correctly when
exporting to HTML but not when exporting to LaTeX.)