Re: [Orgmode] Multiple files and auto-updating

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Multiple files and auto-updating
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:30:40 +0200

Hi Jason,

from your description it is not really clear to me what your setup is.

On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Jason Guiditta wrote:

Hello, apologies if these questions are documented somewhere (in fact, I bet they are, just haven't been able to find them). I am a newcomer to both orgmode and emacs in general, so I am still on the steep side of the learning curve. I have spent several days poking around the documentation, watching some screencasts, looking at gmane, etc with no success solving my issue, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The group I work with is using orgmode to track tasks for our projects. This is currently in one big file (with various tags) that has at the bottom a dynamic table

What do you mean by "dynamic table"? Can you show us the relevant section of the file?

- Carsten

that we periodically export to html and put up on a server for easier viewing of the current state of tasks. We store this project file in a git repo. I have been asked to do two major things and two minor (at least in importance) things to streamline this.

== Major ==
1. Move this dynamic table out into its own file to reduce the size of the main project file (I am not the only one in the group not that familiar with emacs --yet). 2. Have this table be updated/exported automatically when saving the project file.

From what I have seen, dynamic tables are meant to just be another view of the data in a given file, so I am wondering if this is even the right approach. The update/export seems likely to be some org- mode post-save command. If this is the case, guess I'll have to figure out how to write some elisp :-/

== Minor ==
1. After automatically updating/exporting the table file, upload that to our server as well. 2. Commit the file to git from the buffer (pretty sure this is just a matter of using the git mode I have seen mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there in case there is another suggestion).

Hopefully these questions are reasonable and I haven't missed obvious directions on how to do these things. I appreciate any assistance from members of the list. (Also, really liking orgmode/ emacs in general so far, fwiw).

Thanks,

-j