[Orgmode] Re: Re Audible reminder in org-mode not working

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Re Audible reminder in org-mode not working
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:33:27 -0400

evita moreno <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question which may look like it is already answered but the
> solutions provided in previous threads don't really work for me. FYI, I
> am using a Linux Mint Isadora distribution and I tried to run org-mode
> both in a console-session of emacs (emacs -nw) and in an emacs GUI. I
> have tried to set an audible reminder for my appointments using:
>
> (setq appt-audible t)
>
> For some reason, this does not seem to work (the visible reminder works
> just fine). I am sure it does not have to do with volume as it works
> fine with other apps. BTW, the code I am using is collected from
> various threads and given that I know next to nothing in LISP, I can
> safely assume that this is probably the reason the whole audible
> reminder thing is not working....
>
> I was wondering whether anyone out there could provide a bit of code to
> set audible reminders in org-mode (preferably working in a console
> too). I am teaching young people to use emacs and org-mode to do their
> research and running emacs in a console is probably the best thing to
> do to to stop them from getting distracted from menus, toolbars and
> other things!

The first question: Does your computer "beep" under other circumstances?
It's very likely that Linux Mint disables the beep by default. What is
the result the following command produce?

lsmod | grep pcspkr

If pcspkr is enabled, you might want check the value of the following
options with M-x describe-variable....

visible-bell
ring-bell-function

Best,