Re: [Orgmode] programming for org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] programming for org-mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:40:47 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you are going to do any serious work with lisp, I would emphatically
> recommend using paredit-mode, and becoming friends with the Sexp
> movement functions
> +--------------------------------------------+
> | C-M-f | runs the command paredit-forward   |
> |-------+------------------------------------|
> | C-M-b | runs the command paredit-backward  |
> |-------+------------------------------------|
> | C-M-u | runs the command backward-up-list  |
> |-------+------------------------------------|
> | C-M-k | runs the command kill-sexp         |
> |-------+------------------------------------|
> | C-y   | runs the command yank              |
> +--------------------------------------------+
>
> They allow you to manipulate lisp code on the level of logical
> expressions, the utility of which can not be over stated.

I presume that paredit is useful because it's a minor mode, so you can
enable it on an org-mode buffer (e.g. using babel). But if you are
editing a .el file, then emacs-lisp mode provides all these facilities
(C-M-f -> forward-sexp, etc.) and you don't need paredit.  Do I have
that right?

Thanks,
Nick

PS. The ultimate *reference* for emacs lisp is the Emacs Lisp Reference
manual

        http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/index.html

At some point in one's emacs-lisp programming life, it will be necessary
to refer to it - but it is very much a reference manual, not a tutorial.