Re: [Orgmode] Re: MathJax - use Tex/LaTeX/MathML in HTML pages

From: Christopher Witte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: MathJax - use Tex/LaTeX/MathML in HTML pages
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:31:29 +0200

ASCIIMathML http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimath.html might also be an alternative, for that you need fonts on the client (Firefox, I don't think IE supports MathML out of the box), and it uses MathML so it is standard compliant.

Regards
Chris.

On 4 August 2010 06:24, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Dan,

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

> It's quite convenient already (see below), so what exactly would the
> option involve?  Can the _javascript_ and fonts be located remotely?

>From what I understand, no, the _javascript_ and fonts have to be on the
server.

I just installed an instance on orgmode.org:

 http://orgmode.org/mathjax/test/

> - Darlan Cavalcante has written a Worg article[1] on using jsMath with
>   org
> - Basically, to use jsMath all you need is

>   #+style: <script src="">
Great!  So to use mathjax on orgmode.org (Worg etc.) :

 #+style: <script type="text/_javascript_" src="">
> - Mathjax was considerably slower to render the maths. (I think that
>   under the hood it converts to mathML which jsMath does not do (?))

I'm not sure.  Maybe MathJax is faster once reasonably tweaked.

> As I said the other day[2], one reason I am excited about these
> technologies is that we can produce a pdf with pretty source code
> fontification via htmlize (rather than ugly[3] latex listings output)
> and genuine mathematical fonts rather than ugly dvipng images. I do this
> via CUPS print to file under linux, which allows the web browser to
> produce a .ps or .pdf. I'd be interested to know how we can make this a
> more "genuine" org export path.

You mean org -> HTML -> ps?

Is it not possible to call firefox (or Xulrunner) in batch mode to
convert an HTML page into .ps?

If so, we can have two ways of producing org->pdf, one through LaTeX,
one through HTML...

--
 Bastien