[Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:19:57 +0200

Hi Andreas, org-mode developers,
* Andreas Burtzlaff <address@hidden> [09. Aug. 2010]:
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> I have put a version of the manual as modified by Andreas here:
>>
>>    http://orgmode.org/org-manual-with-command-names.pdf
>>
>> Not all the command names are in there, but quite a few are.
>> I'd like to hear from more people
>>
>> - if they would like to have the names there (i.e. if it would
>>   help them finding a command)
>> - if the position (first thing in the command description)
>>   is right, or if it would be better to have it
>>      - last thing in the description
>>      - or after the first sentence, this is how the GNUS manual
>>        does it.
>
> Having the function names in the manual at all makes it look a bit
> overloaded and might lose us a couple of newbies, I think. Personally, I
> would not have use for it.
>
> If the names are included in the manual I strongly object to them being
> at the beginning of the first sentence. The fixed starting column of the
> sentences becomes variable and that makes it hard to skim through for
> those who don't want to read the function names.

+1 for the same reasons.

This is especially true for paragraphs like those:

C-c C-n (outline-next-visible-heading) Next heading.
C-c C-p (outline-previous-visible-heading) Previous heading.
C-c C-f (org-forward-same-level) Next heading same level.
C-c C-b (org-backward-same-level) Previous heading same level.
C-c C-u (outline-up-heading) Backward to higher level heading.
C-c C-j (org-goto) Jump to a different place without changing the current
outline
        visibility. Shows the document structure in a temporary buffer, where
you can
        use the following keys to find your destination:

> What about having them in the same line as the keybinding but aligned to
> the right?
>
> `C-c ['                                         org-agenda-file-to-front
>      Add current file to the list of agenda files.  The file is added to
>      the front of the list.  If it was already in the list, it is moved
>      to the front.  With prefix arg, file is added/moved to the end.
>
> It would make the manual longer, but at least it looks clean.
> It is easy to neglect the function names if one wants, and just as easy
> to skim through them.

+1 for the same reasons.
But Andreas Röhlers original variant is IMHO even better:

>| [ ... ]
>| `C-c [', org-agenda-file-to-front
>|     Add current file to the list of agenda files.  The file is added to
>|     the front of the list.  If it was already in the list, it is moved
>|     to the front.  With prefix Argument, file is added/moved to the end.

Here the command name serves as a kind of a heading, it's easy
to search these locations while at the same time it's easy to
skim over the pages and not bother with the command names.

My preference:

1. as in Andreas Röhlers original ASCII rendering
2. as in Andreas Burtzlaffs ASCII rendering
3. not at all
4. as in the test manual

Just me 2¢.  Either way, org-mode is great.  Gregor

P.S.: Some of the command names don't help that much:

C-c C-c (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c) If there is a checkbox (see Section 5.6
[Checkboxes],
        page 46) in the item line, toggle the state of the checkbox. If not,
this command
        makes sure that all the items on this list level use the same bullet.
Furthermore,
        if this is an ordered list, make sure the numbering is OK.
C-c -   (org-ctrl-c-minus) Cycle the entire list level through the different
item-
        ize/enumerate bullets (`-', `+', `*', `1.', `1)'). With a numeric
prefix argument
        N, select the Nth bullet from this list. If there is an active region
when calling
        this, all lines will be converted to list items. If the first line
already was a list
        item, any item markers will be removed from the list. Finally, even
without an
        active region, a normal line will be converted into a list item.
C-c *   (org-ctrl-c-star) Turn a plain list item into a headline (so that it
becomes
        a subheading at its location). See Section 2.5 [Structure editing],
page 7, for a
        detailed explanation.

But even this gives a clue in how it all works.