Re: [Orgmode] [babel] strategies for generating multiple graphics files

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] strategies for generating multiple graphics files from same code block
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:37:35 -0500

Sounds good, and perhaps another 'export' target could be tangling of the code.

On 08/09/2010 06:00 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
Hi Erik,

There is a planned feature for Org-babel which should subsume these use
cases, namely backend-conditional header arguments.  These would allow
you to specify different header arguments (including file) depending on
the export target, be that html, latex, or none if you are just
interactively evaluating inside of an Org-mode buffer.

This is still in the early stages, and is waiting until I have a
reasonable amount of free time.

Cheers -- Eric

Erik Iverson<address@hidden>  writes:

Hello,

I'm using org-mode to write R code and generate figures.

I have multiple files generated per code block, one png and one PDF.
This is so that I can display the graphic:

1) Inline in my org-mode buffer (png)
2) Upon export to HTML, viewable in the browser (png)
3) Included in a separate PDF, *not* from exporting my org-mode
file.  For this, I would like a PDF version of the graphic to be
generated, and pdflatex can use it (pdf)

So, for points 1 and 2 above, no problem.

* Figure 1
Here is the first figure.

#+begin_src R :file figure1.png :width 960 :exports both :tangle fig1.R
   plot(1,1)
#+end_src

For point 3, I use tangling to write the source code to a file.  I
notice that the graphical code is wrapped by the export process by a
call to png() and dev.off().

My question, is there any facility to have the tangled code generate a
PDF, instead of PNG?  I still need the png for goals 1 and 2, but the
pdf for goal 3.  Anyone else have any other strategies for realizing
all 3 of my goals?

I suppose one would be to define a named code block, and use the noweb
syntax:

Define the plot
#+srcname: fig-test
#+begin_src R
   plot(1,1)
#+end_src

Tangle, but don't export
#+begin_src R :file figure1.pdf :exports none :tangle fig1.R :noweb yes
  <<fig-test>>
#+end_src

Export, but don't tangle
#+begin_src R :file figure1.png :exports both :noweb yes
  <<fig-test>>
#+end_src

This is not too bad, but maybe there's an alternative approach?

Thanks!
Erik Iverson