Re: [Orgmode] [babel] confusion about org-confirm-babel-evaluate

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] confusion about org-confirm-babel-evaluate
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:15:43 -0400

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Back from a short holiday and trying to catch up on work... and so I
> may have missed something in the org mailing list (although I've
> searched...).
>
> I have a large file which includes many babel code blocks (mostly
> maxima) that I wish to have evaluated on export.  This works except
> that I have to confirm each evaluation (which takes some time).  I
> know that org-confirm-babel-evaluate exists so I have put the
> following at the top of my org file:
>
> # -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil; -*-
>
> checking the value of this variable (C-h v org-babel-confirm-evaluate)
> gives me:
>
> ,----
> | org-confirm-babel-evaluate is a variable defined in `ob.el'.
> | Its value is nil
> | Local in buffer deferred-questions.org; global value is t
> |
> |   This variable is a file local variable.
> |   This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
> |   satisfies the predicate which is byte-compiled expression.
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Confirm before evaluation.
> | Require confirmation before interactively evaluating code
> | blocks in Org-mode buffers.  The default value of this variable
> | is t, meaning confirmation is required for any code block
> | evaluation.  This variable can be set to nil to inhibit any
> | future confirmation requests.  This variable can also be set to a
> | [...]
> `----
>
> so the value is indeed nil.  However, exporting to PDF, say, still
> requires me to confirm each evaluation.  Typing C-c C-c doesn't
> require confirmation, however, so the variable does seem to have some
> effect.
>
> What am I missing here to avoid having to confirm on export?  The only
> variable I have found that combines both export and babel is
> org-export-babel-evaluate which is not what I want.

Seems to me that the variable is not effective at all at this point in time:
it still has to be connected up and wired in. Here's what I see:

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.112.g13a0)
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of 2010-05-17 on
gamaville.dokosmarshall.org

org-babel-execute-src-block calls org-babel-confirm-evaluate in the
following context:

        (let (...
         (evaluation-confirmed (org-babel-confirm-evaluate info))
         ...)

but evaluation-confirmed is not used anywhere. In fact, there is a comment
on the line above:

         ;; note the `evaluation-confirmed' variable is currently not
         ;; used, but could be used later to avoid the need for
         ;; chaining confirmations
         (evaluation-confirmed (org-babel-confirm-evaluate info))

but that's the *only* place where org-babel-confirm-evaluate is called,
so I don't think the function (or the variable that Eric is trying to
set) has any effect at all. I haven't chased things through to the C-c C-c
stage that Eric mentions, so I'm not sure what causes that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Nick