[Orgmode] trying to get xetex working with org-mode

From: Christian Wittern
Subject: [Orgmode] trying to get xetex working with org-mode
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:59:51 +0900

Hi there,

This has come up before, but a search in the archive did not produce enough
information for me to solve the problem.  I want to export to PDF via XeTex
on Mac OS X (Emacs 23.2) and org-mode 7.01g.  After studying the manual and
looking at this message in the archive:

<quote>
(from: http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2010-04/msg00856.html)
[...]
And you can customize org-export-latex-classes to make the class headers
look like this:

\TeXXeTstate=1
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Numbers=OldStyle,Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex- text}
\setmainfont{Sabon LT Std}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Sabon LT Std}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchUppercase]{Myriad Pro}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
[DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
[PACKAGES]
[EXTRA]

And you can change things around any way you like.
HTH
- Carsten
</quote>

I started experimenting with customizing org-export-latex-classes.  Here is
what I put into the section for article:

\TeXXeTstate=1
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Numbers=OldStyle,Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
\newfontfamily{\J}[Scale=0.85]{Osaka}

(I removed the following lines:
[DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
[PACKAGES]
[EXTRA])
Now, what I get with C-c C-e l at the beginning of my tex file is:
<example>
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\TeXXeTstate=1
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Numbers=OldStyle,Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex- text}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
\newfontfamily{\J}[Scale=0.85]{Osaka}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
</example>
 There are some more lines I did not ask for and do not want, like for
example the \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} which does not work with XeTeX.
Now the number of possible relevant variables etc is just too complex for me
to understand.  I would appreciate if some kind soul would explain to me how
to trim this down to use only the packages I need.

All the best,

Christian