[Orgmode] Re: C-u usage

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: C-u usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:55:35 +0200

Hi Andreas,

On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Hi Carsten,

while dealing with the key/command-name issue,
thanks for the last hint BTW, works now,

stumble over

C-u C-u C-u <TAB>

Don't it break common Emacs usage somehow?

No, it is customary that C-u changes the behavior as a function.
Admittedly Org does this more extensively than other programs.

The problem arises, as C-h k does not report a
combination starting with C-u...

Yes, for your command name listing this is a problem.

Two cases

1. Using prefix arguments actually internally calls a different command.
   Then one can try to find this command, and if it can be called in a
stand-alone way, it would actually be useful to give this indirect command
   in the list

2. The prefix argument just modified the command a bit - here I think
we have no choice but to repeat the command name as it was given for the un-prefixed call. Normally one would in fact describe the effect of the prefix arg in the description of the un-prefixed command. But sometimes
   I have found it useful to list the prefixed call explicitly.

HTH

- Carsten

Just for consideration.

Andreas