Re: [Orgmode] mathjax HTML export question

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] mathjax HTML export question
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:37:54 +0200

On 08/23/2010 08:12 PM, Erik Iverson wrote:

> Is there something that I'm missing, or that could be "better" with
> a local installation of MathJax?  I don't know what "reverts to image
> fonts in Firefox" means, but whatever is happening on my export seems
> to look nice.

Hi Erik,

when MathJax cannot use its custom math fonts, it replaces each
character with a pre-rendered image (I think it has each character
available in a handful of different sizes).

At normal font sizes, the disadvantages of image fonts are not that
noticeable to me (except that math symbols in links appear black instead
of blue, because the images are only available in black).

The main disadvantage is that font quality degrades when you zoom in. I
have not tested if one can notice a difference when printing
(theoretically, real fonts will look better, because the printer has a
higher resolution).

In the context of Static MathJax, the disadvantage is that the script
cannot embed image fonts into HTML files, which is why I mentioned this
in my email.

The change to .htaccess had certainly not happened when I announced
Static MathJax, as I used the installation at orgmode.org for testing.

Best regards,
  Jan