Re: [Orgmode] Making folded items less dangerous

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Making folded items less dangerous
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:14:28 -0500

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi All,

I've gotten myself in trouble several times today by backspacing after
an org-link that ends a headline.  That's a typical pattern for
editing an org-link, right?  Well it turns out that if the item is
folded, then the backspace writes over the end of the un-folded item
but **appears to have no effect**, and you can easily hit backspace
several times to test your sanity before you realize that something is
wrong, badly corrupting your file.

Seems to me that attempts to edit a folded item should either:

a) restrict changes to the item's headline, or
b) unfold the item and do nothing

I like these ideas. Or even the "this text is read only" message in the mini-buffer when hitting delete at the ellipsis after a headline? I can see both sides (it's come up before):
1) that it's "just text" like everything else so what should one expect but also

2) it doesn't behave like text and especially for newer individuals when you keep hitting delete because you don't get what's going on or you lose track of the cursor and press some key combination... it is a bummer.

John

Is there a way to set that up?

Thanks,

--