[Orgmode] Re: gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in

From: Rafael
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 19:16:09 -0500

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) what is te recommended or canonical way to reduce whitespace, not only in
> the margins, but especially between paragraphs?  In particular, I use a lot of
> lists and subheadings; latex puts enormous emounts of whatespace between
> items,
> and very quickly the syllabus becomes difficult to navigate.  It would be
> great
> for me if I could make these settings default, too -- I would much rather have
> my paper copies look more word-processor-ish, to ocnform iwth expectations in
> my discipline (history).

Not exactly the canonical way, but I have the following in documents I'm
planning to export to LaTeX to make whitespace bearable:

#+LATEX_HEADER:
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\olditemize=\itemize
#+LATEX_HEADER: \def\itemize{
#+LATEX_HEADER: \olditemize
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\itemsep}{-0.8ex}
#+LATEX_HEADER: }
#+LATEX_HEADER: \let\oldenumerate=\enumerate
#+LATEX_HEADER: \def\enumerate{
#+LATEX_HEADER: \oldenumerate