Re: [Orgmode] Re: suggestion: simplify depth stepping of document struct

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: suggestion: simplify depth stepping of document structure (outline) visibility
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:59:33 +0200

Hi all

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Bastien <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> (2) the first press at C->
> and C-< sets the "content relative view" to 1, whatever the initial
> state was.  Feels a bit unintuitive to me...

On 10-09-03 07:01 , Herbert Sitz wrote:
Yes, I agree, starting from current view depth is a bit of polish that
should be added.

And what would one expect from the absolute variant (currently with
C-u) that also resets to the depth of the heading at point?

My point of view is different: First this current behavior is clearly
intended as an alternative for the absolute `C-u 3 S-Tab' but without
the need of counting manually, just like outline-mode-`C-c C-q' (hide
everything lower than heading level _at point_). Second I prefer to
keep things simple and don't like to think about bothering what the
initial view depth of
* 1
** 1.1
*** 1.1.1
** 1.2
*** 1.2.1
should be, when viewed as
* 1
** 1.1...
** 1.2
*** 1.2.1
with point on 1. Here I prefer to hit C-> repeatedly instead of an
automatic guess that can never know if one wants to see even 1.2.1 or
not.

Michael