Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] ledger tutorial on Worg

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] ledger tutorial on Worg
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:33:30 +0100

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:43:07 +0200, Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Eric(s) and Dan,
>
> Eric S Fraga wrote:

> >> Being interested a lot in Ledger integration with Org-Babel as well, I
> >> have a
> >> quick remark: instead of including (with explicit full path) the journal
> >> entries in every code block, can't we use the more natural (at least, to
> >> me)
> >> tangling provided by the Noweb syntax?

> > Yes, I would have thought that this would work. It doesn't fit in naturally
> > with how I would like to do things as I have many different blocks of ledger
> > entries spread around the file...
>
> I don't understand your argument: why wouldn't you use <<journal-home>> blocks
> and <<journal-work>> blocks for example, or even much more?  What am I
> missing?

You are not missing anything at all!  I didn't say it couldn't be
done; I just said that it didn't fit in with *my* workflow.

I have many (tens) of little to medium sized ledger snippets
throughout my personal finances org file.  As well as collections of
entries (for regular payments, say), the set of snippets includes
one-off expenses (e.g. bought a specific piece of furniture for the
house) that I want to record and annotate.  Labelling all of these
snippets and then putting in the <<...>> entry in the full list gives
two extra steps.  Instead, I create as many snippets as I want without
worrying about it and I simply have to /tangle/ before evaluating any of
the financial summary ledger snippets.

This minimises, for me, the number of things I need to remember to
keep track of my finances.

The other extreme is to simply put *all* ledger entries in one source
block but then you might as well use a ledger file directly...

Your suggestion fits bang in the middle and:

> What cannot be done with the noweb syntax in your Org file?  I find it much
> better if we can avoid specifying explicit paths, in order to guarantee use
> and execution of our Org files by other users, on other (even Windows)
> machines, among others.

I agree completely with this.  The tutorial probably did not reflect
what is likely to be the most common and more robust usage.  Sorry!
--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D