Re: [Orgmode] MobileOrg now in the Android market

From: Matthew Jones
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] MobileOrg now in the Android market
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:25:40 -0400

Hey Sven and list, getting MobileOrg into the Android market is part of the last push to releasing the first Beta version.

There are two last things that I'm doing to achieve beta status:

1) Implement the Dropbox and SDCard synchronizers
2) Support changing TODO states and editing existing notes.

I have had a lot of people contributing patches, most notably is Adam Marek (amarek) who has really cleaned up my Synchronizer and File Parsing system.  His work abstracting my synchronization system is what is going to allow us to support syncing org files from a variety of different places.   He did this as part of his work for implementing an SVN synchronizer (really cool, can't wait for him to finish this).

One thing that Adam has finished that I have imported into the Market version of MobileOrg is support for encrypted org files via Android Privacy Guard (APG:  http://www.thialfihar.org/projects/apg/).   I haven't had a chance to use this yet so if anyone wants to give it a whirl then let me know how it goes.

Paul Bonser (pib) contributed a lot of really great bug fixes and cleanup code, Jonathan Arkell contributed a new much nicer looking logo,  John Ogle helped me out with some error reporting to the user (I was just throwing exceptions everywhere), Torsten Wagner contributed the localization changes (along with German translations).

This weekend I'm going to complete #2 and part of #1 that I listed above.   Regarding point #1 I will definitely have the SDCard synchronizer finished... this will allow you to synchronize your org files directly from your phone (if you are someone who wants to manually place the files on your phone).   This should also allow those of you who use Dropbox to use the Dropbox Android application to pull your org files to your phone and then synchronize using the SDCard synchronizer.   This will be a good placeholder until I can implement the Dropbox API directly (which will involve those guys evaluating my application to make sure I'm using it correctly... and I'm not sure how long that will take).

It's going to be a busy weekend for me wrapping up these changes.   I'm now open to taking bug reports on the Github page (come one, come all) and new feature requests (please use the "Feature" tag).  So you can expect 0.5beta to be released on Monday or Tuesday.

One last thing to note, I'm having to drop support for Android 1.5, if this is a problem for anyone then please drop me an email... one person has already informed me that they can't find it in the market because of this so I'm planning on building a development version for those of you running this older version of the OS.

Normally I would post something this big right away but I wanted to make sure everything was working fine (this is my first app on the market) before taking the plunge.   So no worries, Sven, I'm glad you noticed so quickly :)

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net