[Orgmode] Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Select default clocking task by Bernt Hansen
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 06:07:08 -0400

"Yevgeniy A. Viktorov" <address@hidden> writes:

> thank you for examples, I really lost it :)
>
> would be nice to fix references to first level * Organization,
> i.e. mostly to replace "* Organization" with "** Organization" and
> include above examples.

Okay I've added that to my todo list :)

> As far I understand you categorize organization by work you usually do in
> some context if no other task specified or using "Misc" when there is no
> appropriate category?

Essentially yes.  If I'm working on tasks for my company Norang then I
set the norang.org Organization task as the default task.  I'll work on
tasks in norang.org, clocking them in and out and any leftover remaining
time goes to the organization task in that file.

If I switch contexts to some client's projects then I set the
Organization task in that client file as the default task and work on
their tasks.  Leftover time is then clocked against the client.  This
way if I work for a client from 10AM-noon and clock in various tasks in
the client file I get 2 hours of clocked time for the client even if the
individual tasks I clock in only add up to 1 hour 55 minutes.  The
leftover 5 minutes end up on the organization task for that client and
it's a more accurate reflection of where I really spent my time.

If I am interrupted by something during that work I create a capture
task which automatically clocks in for whatever amount of time that
interruption takes and minutes are allocated to the right project when
that task is refiled to the appropriate org file.

Regards,
Bernt