[Orgmode] Re: Mark and Tangle

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Mark and Tangle
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:30:47 +0530

Let me explain what I mean by selective tangling (or any one of the
other babel operations)

I mark subtrees [1]. The nearest Org equivalent would be to create a
sparse tree with say a tag match and consider the visible portions as
selected or marked.

Then babel could choose to act on just the visible portion [2] as
opposed to the whole buffer (both visible and invisible).

It would be the responsibility of the user to make sure that visible
portions of the buffer form a coherent whole and babel's results
pipeline is not entirely broken.

Needless to say, selective 'babeling' is more expressive than 'babeling'
based on language or a set of languages or just a subtree. This is
because it could capture a user's complete workflow and editing
environment.

I believe the above request is consistent with org's way of doing
things [3].

As for the thread that you reference, I believe the solution is a bit
'nerdy' (if I may use the word) and relies on advanced knowledge (for
example, org's tagging apis, programming in elisp and fact that babel
plists could indeed be lisp forms)

Footnotes:

[1] Marking as in emacs sense of the word. Think marking buffers,
marking gnus articles etc for later bulk action.

[2] That is, org-babel-do would hence forward take an additional
visibility-ok arguments.

- Visibility need not be just that of a subtree but of any structural
  element.

- Modification of buffer due to insertion of #+results elements and
  their visibility could slightly complicate the implementation.

[3] As of today, I do consider babel's workflow (as a literate
programming environment) is orthogonal to Org's world view. Now that
babel is a first class entity within org-mode and emacs there is a
strong reason why this orthogonality should continue to be exist.

Just my few cents here.

Jambunathan K.