[Orgmode] Q : select current org item as region

From: Richard Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] Q : select current org item as region
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 20:51:14 +0200

What would be the best elisp way to select the current org entry? I want
a hot key to select the current item as current region (not into the
clipboard).

The problem I am having is that org-in-item-p is returning nil even
though the point is in an org-item. Is the docstring where it mentions
"hand-formatted item" more significant that I understand? As a result
org-beginning-of-item is failing

Currently the function I have is (not working but to give you the idea
of what I am trying to accomplish):

    (defun rgr/org-blog-entry ()
      (interactive)
      (save-excursion
            (org-beginning-of-item)
            (set-mark-command)
            (org-end-of-item)
            (let((tmpbuf (make-temp-file)))
              (org-export-as-html nil nil tmpbuf t))))