[Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:17:03 -0400

Erik Iverson <address@hidden> writes:

> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Hi Bastien and Dan,
>>
>> Bastien wrote:

>>> I find "Org Code" and "Org Source Code" rather ambiguous.

Yes, you're right!

>>> "Org Src" is
>>> better but still a bit too general IMHO.
>>>
>>> "Org Src Block"?

I do sometimes find myself wondering whether "src" is a little cryptic
for user-level documentation: an alternative would be "code" as in "code
blocks". But src is hard-wired into "begin_src", and it is familiar to
many programmers, and it is already traditional in Org-mode, so perhaps
it is fine.

>> The terminology of such code blocks in Noweb was "scraps". We often see
>> "snippets" as well, but (not being English-native), that can be more for pure
>> text (not specifically code).
>>
>> Then, it could be "Org Scraps" or similar variants.
>
> Or "chunk", which I subjectively find the most phonetically pleasing.

I would like there to be some uniformity in this, across documentation,
docstrings and function and variable names. I have been guilty of using
"code blocks" in docstrings and commit logs. So if "src block" is /the/
Org-mode way of referring to these things, then let's stick to it!

For the purposes of customize, we don't have to abbreviate, so we could
also have

"Org Source Code Blocks"

but as Bastien sugests, "Org Src Blocks" would be a natural Org-mode
term.

Dan