Fwd: [Orgmode] odf exporter -- was, possible tex export bug?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Fwd: [Orgmode] odf exporter -- was, possible tex export bug?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:40:30 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Price <address@hidden>
Date: Sunday, September 12, 2010
To: David Maus <address@hidden>

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, David Maus <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Matt,

I gradually removed all content from the TeX file and it turns out
that one problem is the savetrees package: If I remove it in the TeX
file, tex4ht proceeds -- but fails again, this time on the \label
command.  Removing the hyperref package helps here.

Looks like a problem in tex4h, not Org.  Compiling the tex file with
latex works fine, with both hyperref and savetrees included.

sigh.  thanks david, that was a real help.

Unfortunately it's also very depressing news.  as far as I can tell,
both docbook2odf and tex4ht are both more or less unmaintained,
docbook2rtf produces horrbly-formatted text, and html --> odt in
openoffice is still fairly labour-intenxive so there is no really
reliable  method to get to a word-processing document from any other
format.  I think this does mean that I will have to write an odf
exproter for org, but I fear this will take me a very long time, even
with the excellent resources that exist to help me
(org-export-generic, the org-export-html, and the muse odf exporter).
And I don't think I can really do this before I have to produce these
html documents, so for now I guess I will be hand-converting.

thanks so much, though.  And if anyone does make progress on an odf
exporter, I do hpe you'll share it with us!  thanks as always,
matt

HTH,
  -- David
--