Re: [Orgmode] wanderlust links

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] wanderlust links
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:50:39 +0200

Rodrigo Amestica wrote:
>is there a way to link to a maildir message without need to specify
>its specific folder within my maildir tree? I thought the message ID
>was meant to be unique within my tree and, therefore, usable as a key
>without a need for a folder specification.

The message id is a unique identifier for an internet message, but
(obviously) it does contain information about /where/ a particular
message is located.  For WL to open a reference to a message you
therefor need to tell WL, where the message is located.

Your message was <address@hidden>; but where is
this message?  It's here in my mailbox, likely in your Fcc folder, in
the group gmane.emacs.orgmode on news.gmane.org, ...

So even in your case you would have to tell WL where to search for the
message.

>I'm using wanderlust and I thought that this should be
>possible. Otherwise the whole idea of wl: type links become a bit
>awkward for me. It means that I need to specify a folder and,
>therefore, I should link _after_ I have moved the message to its final
>location and I should make sure I never move that message somewhere
>else. Awkward.

A broken link might not be that of a problem as long as you are able
to find the message.  In my WL setup there are basically just two
mailboxes: An IMAP mailbox where new messages arrive and a local
maildir folder with archived messages.  Messages in the IMAP mailbox
that are older than 180 days are expired to the local archive.

In addition I dropped using physical sub-folders in maildir and IMAP
because grouping of messages can be achieved by WL's filter folder
syntax.

Thus, a message is in one of two places: Either %Inbox or .archive.  I
mitigate the problem of broken links by indexing my maildir folders
with Namazu[1,2] so I can make use of org-wl's feature of performing a
search for a particular message in my Namazu search index:

,----
| org-wl-open is a compiled Lisp function in `org-wl.el'.
|
| (org-wl-open PATH)
|
| Follow the WL message link specified by PATH.
| When called with one prefix, open message in namazu search folder
| with `org-wl-namazu-default-index' as search index.  When called
| with two prefixes or `org-wl-namazu-default-index' is nil, ask
| for namazu index.
`----

If I can't access the message with C-c C-o (org-open-at-point), I can
try C-u C-c C-o and perform a search for the message.

This setup works for me under the assumption that opening a link to
and old message is a rare event.[3]

HTH,
  -- David

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.namazu.org

[2] See http://lists.airs.net/wl-en/archive/201007/msg00007.html for a
    brief description of my Namazu setup.

[3] For referencing important messages or messages that are not under
    my control (e.g. usenet articles) I am currently toying with the
    idea of attaching entire messages to Org mode entries and use
    these attached messages for possible replies.
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... address@hidden