Re: [Orgmode] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming

From: Giorgio Valoti
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:17:52 +0200

Il giorno 13/set/2010, alle ore 14.47, Dan Davison ha scritto:

> Giorgio Valoti <address@hidden> writes:
> […]
>>
>> Is there a way to expand values from included files?
>
> Hi Giorgio,
>
> I don't know of a way currently but I agree that it is desirable. It
> does seem temtping to want to use #+INCLUDE for this purpose;
> however #+INCLUDE is an /export/ construct, and tangling is not
> (technically at least) an Org-mode export method.

Ah, here’s why.

> So some options that
> come to my mind are:
>
> 1. I am overlooking an existing way of doing this.
>
> 2. Implement #+INCLUDE when tangling, optionally or by default.
>
> 3. Implement a general way of including blocks of code from other files
>   in such a way that they behave as 'normal' code blocks. This would
>   have several potentially useful consequences.

What’s the difference between options 2 and 3? I mean, if we #+INCLUDE when
tangling how is it different from including code blocks? Or do you see option 3
as a more granular way to refer to external entities, something comparable to a
programming language import statement?

> 4. It seems that it should be possible to get what you want by first
>   using `org-export-as-org' followed by `org-babel-tangle'. However,
>   `org-export-as-org' doesn't currently include #+INCLUDE'd files. I
>   wonder if it should. A hack to do what you want is below (You'll be
>   prompted for a file name to save the Org export buffer to.):

Thank you, Dan. It could be a good enough interim solution.

Ciao
--
Giorgio Valoti