[Orgmode] [OT] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] [OT] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 22:35:54 +0530

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

[Warning: OT]

>  tangling is not (technically at least) an Org-mode export method.

This is an implementation artefact (as you have noted).

>From a user-perspective tangling is a specialized form of export.
Exporting as I see it, is indeed an operation that takes some textual
content and transforms it in to some other content and places it in a
specific location. This is irrespective of whether it is done via C-c
C-e.

[Context Switch]

So

1. Babel macros are (potential) exporters

2. Exporting need not be just limited to publishing to an external file.

   For example, one could export textual content from one Org headline
   to another Org headline and have them edited on day-to-day basis.

   In some sense exporting is something that an Orgmode user would do
   not as a final step of a note-taking workflow but even in the middle
   of or start of it.

Elsewhere, I have argued that Babel could be easily extended to support
the above broader definition of export.

May be in coming days I should be able to make concrete, code-level
suggestions on that would take my prayers further down in your altar
:-).

Meanwhile I invite you to give my posts some thought ... Dan or Eric
could churn out babel code faster and more effectively than I could
possibly could.

Jambunathan K.