Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] ELPA repo for org-mode?

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] ELPA repo for org-mode?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:07:40 +0100

> 1) more goes to org-mode/contrib/lisp: this is okay, but requires
>   more people to have write access to Org

I can't comment on whether that is undesirable, but I assume that if
the number of contributions grows, it might be best to take one of the
other routes.

> 2) have a separate Org contribs repo: then we can be more liberal
>   with write access and let users have all extensions in one pull.

This would be find with me.  Git is easy and quick.

> 3) migrate as much Org extensions as possible to ELPA: I'm still
>   trying to figure out what would be the consequences of this.

Well, for one thing, at the moment contributions to ELPA seem to be
reviewed /en masse/, at an interval of about every two weeks:

http://tromey.com/elpa/news.html

It might be better for org to have a method where extension developers
can say, "There.  Fixed it." and users can get updates immediately.
People seem to do that kind of thing a lot, 'round here.  And many of
run the freshest code out there for extensions and main packages
alike.

> 4) adopt OLGA (Org Lisp Gadget Archive) on orgmode.org: we would
>   need to adapt package.el for a custom ELPA-like on orgmode.org
>   but this is feasible.  The advantage of having OLGA separately
>   from ELPA is that we might be more liberal about what extension
>   is allowed there.

This might work.  I like the idea of distributed repositories for ELPA
anyway, and such a move might prompt the addition of an explicit way
to include multiple package repos (debian-like) if such a way does not
exist.  I believe in a well-designed, well-used package manager for
Emacs, and whatever aids that seems to me to be a Good Thing.

> Of course, we can combine (2) and (4): have a git repos containing
> Org extensions (those who are not officially part of Emacs/Org) and
> this repo can feed our OLGA, so that users can *also* navigate and
> update Org extensions thru OLGA.

Yep.  This might be nice both for the git-crowd and those who are
inclined towards a package manager.