[Orgmode] Re: ELPA [WAS] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation inst

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: ELPA [WAS] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation instructions
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:25:14 +0530

> Dan,
>
> I have no special expertise on this, but I'll hazzard an answer as a
> simple ELPA user:
>
>> Using ELPA does seem like an attractive route, especially if it
>> (package.el) is going to be in Emacs24.
>
> To me too, ELPA is a great idea.  It probably needs some perfecting,
> but if it works for these purposes, we only help the perfecting by
> encouraging it's use.
>
>> - How much work would it take to put and maintain Org-mode on ELPA?
>
> I'll let someone else answer that, but I'd be suprised if it couldn't
> be automated.
>
>> - Would it make sense to have two different packages available via ELPA,
>
> To me, yes.  I like using git for the development tree, but I expect
> that ELPA makes for a nice way for Windows users (and others who don't
> want to or can't use git) to get the latest version easily (and
> possibly even to downgrade if necessary).  The latest release version
> is of course necessary as well, since using it is the main
> recommendation to new users.
>
>> - Will it be possible for the Org project to have control over the files
>
> An excellent and important question.  We'd rather not be dependent on
> personal intervention from others to update, especially the '-latest'
> version.  And even for the releases, we'd probably be glad to see them
> propagate to the repository pretty quickly.  (The current non-gnu ELPA
> repo only updates every two weeks or so.  This is fine for many
> projects, but probably not enough even for org-mode releases.)
>
>> - Will ELPA be able to get the info files installed suitably?
>
> In principle, yes.  ELPA does concern itself with both the load-path
> and the info-path.

FWIW the info entry and elisp file for the package manager answers some
of the questions raised here.

Base URL: http://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/raw/aquamacs24

./lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
./lisp/emacs-lisp/package-x.el

./doc/lispref/package.texi

I see that default archive is set to

    http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/

Atleast from the browser I could see only a handful of files. No I don't
see Orgmode there. It wouldn't be there unless someone provided *-pkg.el
file.

ELPA that I have installed with my emacs-23.1.91 is from
    http://tromey.com/elpa/.

As a user, I find the experience of using package manager extremely
pleasant. Apart from merge related changes & related renaming, I believe
the emacs24 version should be just the same.

Since package manager is a new kid on the block I don't see any reason
why it can't be taught new tricks.

ps: There are references to 'uploads' in package-x.el. So, there is
reason to believe that there exists support for updating archives
remotely.

Jambunathan K.