Re: [Orgmode] Re: Testing --- again...

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Testing --- again...
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:57:53 -0600

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, I've been using the framework in the combined-testing branch this
>> morning writing tests to strap down my daily Babel bug fixes, and I'm
>> really liking ERT.
>>
>> I wonder, can we commit to the combined-testing branch, and if so could
>> we fold it into the master branch?  It would make my test driven bug
>> fixing a much smoother process, and would remove the need to rebase the
>> combined-testing branch against master and "git push -f" the changes up
>> to repo.or.cz which just feels wrong.
>

> Yes,  commit to that branch.  And yes, fold it into master,  if there
> are no objections.  In the worst case there will be more contributions.

Great, I've just merged this into the master branch.

> Eric, can we keep track with the ERT development for a little while?
> That will not be done automatically, right?

Right, but at our leasure we can
1) cd into the testing/ert directory
2) git pull the latest version of ert into that directory
3) and on our next git commit the update will be committed to the git
   submodules

> But, as you know, Christian is working on it to get it into Emacs, and
> we should use the version that finally will make it there.
>
>   git submodule update
>
> Should that be called once to avoid conflicts?

Most users need never run

  git submodule init

or

  git subomdule update

however for those of us writing and using tests, we will want to run

  git submodule init

at least once, and run

  git submodule update

from time to time, to pull down newer versions of ert which may have
been committed to the org-mode repo by the process described at the top
of this email.

Best -- Eric