Re: [Orgmode] Tracking time with MobileOrg

From: Richard Moreland
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Tracking time with MobileOrg
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:55:45 -0400

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you mentioned this.  It is on my list of things to work on next.

I still need to coordinate it with Carsten to make sure the approach is sound
and that he can support me by updating org-mobile.el.

My plan for the UI is this:

- Two methods to clock in a new task:  First, you can tap and hold on a node,
then click the 'Clock in' button.  Alternatively, you can open up the node
details page and click a similar 'Clock in' button.

- To clock out, you can use the same method, but the button would say 'Clock
out' instead.  Since it would be tedious to find the current clocking item, I'm
considering...

- A tab/icon at the bottom for Clocking (like the 4 existing icons at the
bottom).  I may make it optional in the Settings page.  If you are clocking,
there will be an indicator on the icon letting you know so, perhaps by
overlaying the clock time on the icon somehow.

- If you click on the clocking icon at the bottom, a list of recently clocked
tasks will be shown, with the active one being highlighted.  You can stop the
running clock, or start the clock on any of your recent items.

When you sync and run org-mobile-pull, the time logs would be added to the
correct nodes (I'll need Carsten or a volunteer to help me integrate this part).

I believe this workflow would make it easy to clock in (either by navigating to
the node in the outline, searching for it on the Search page, or identifying a
recently clocked item) and clock out.

I haven't covered any type of reporting within the app, I was hoping to keep
things relatively simple.  But if there is a need for this let me know.
Perhaps clicking on an entry in the recently clocked list could display the
start/stop times and some summary info.

Let me know what you think, it would help to have some feedback on the workflow
before I begin.

Thanks,
Richard