Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bibtex and latex export

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bibtex and latex export
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 10:22:25 -0400

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> : (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process '("sh -x /usr/bin/texi2dvi -p -b -c -V %f"))
>
> the following is a snippet of the output:
>
> ,----
> | + echo /home/ucecesf/s/teaching/cape/lectures/matlab.tex+ egrep ^(/|[A-z]:/)
> | egrep: Invalid range end
> | + command_line_filename=.//home/ucecesf/s/teaching/cape/lectures/matlab.tex
> | + test -r .//home/ucecesf/s/teaching/cape/lectures/matlab.tex
> | + error 1 cannot read .//home/ucecesf/s/teaching/cape/lectures/matlab.tex,
> skipping.
> `----

What's that '+' sign at the end of the path?

> Because the egrep fails completely, the script assumes that it does
> need to prepend "./" to the file name even though the file name
> already starts with "/" (and is definitely *not* a DOS type file name
> ;-).
>
> I don't understand why the egrep is failing although it definitely has
> something to do with A-z range; if I try the egrep at the shell and
> use "A-Za-z" instead of "A-z", the command works fine.  Does it work
> for anybody else on Linux?

I'm using en_US.UTF-8  on Ubuntu 8.10 and it seems to work for me.

The regexp does look funny: there are non-letters included in the
range and it may be that different versions of egrep are more or less
strict in checking it. I would change the texi2dvi script to use [A-Za-z]
and submit a bug report to texinfo.

> I wonder if the problem with the range is locale dependent?  My locale
> is en_GB.UTF-8.  The manual page for egrep does indicate that ranges
> may not mean the same thing in different locales and suggests using
> locale C.  I don't want to change my locale but maybe it could be set
> for the invocation of texi2dvi...  (yech).

You can always change the LOCALE just for the texi2dvi invocation.
I believe that the following works (untested):

LANG=C texi2dvi ....

or maybe

LC_ALL=C texi2dvi ...

Nick