[Orgmode] How to use capture to start relative timer? And some other cap

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [Orgmode] How to use capture to start relative timer? And some other capture issues...
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:58:47 +1000

Org Capture is better than remember in almost all respects.  I have made some notes on confusing differences, and other issues, for later.  Today, I'll be more specific about something I'd like to do: it seems to me that the capture interface would be useful for starting a relative timer, immediately putting one into the buffer to start entering notes from the get-go.

I thought about using the notion of a function to open the file and start the timer; however, I haven't gotten my head around the idea of using a function as a target for capture.  Are there any example functions around for study?

Another issue, maybe a difference from org-remember, catches me off guard almost every time I use capture: the subtle, or maybe not-so-subtle difference that since one is already in the file---and with the relevant parameter, the file is not even narrowed---is it even possible to capture to a file, and leave that file open normally, and not as a capture buffer?  Probably I am missing something here...

I like alot the arrangement of the initial capture screen, with multiple key entrypoints to culusters of functions: I use it for several template groups.  Is it possible to sort the templates in the *Org Select* capture menu buffer, by key strokes in alphabetical order?  I know if I did not use the customize interface to do this, it was easy to sort them in the .emacs file.   WIth the ease of entry from Capture directly, though, the customize approach is really convenient.  I do notice I cannot enter line breaks into the Template section of a customize entry, though.

Thank you for this tool.  I use it all the time.

Alan Davis