Re: [Orgmode] TaskJuggler 3, revisited

From: Anthony Lander
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] TaskJuggler 3, revisited
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:00:45 -0400

Hi John,

On 10-Oct-8, at 9:24 PM, John Hendy wrote:

I'm coming up on some serious need for a project manager. I really only need gantt chart creation at this point. I strongly dislike the Qt interface and the need to use that if one wants to get a gantt chart output from the process. I would much prefer being able to design my html charts, print them as PDFs or take screenshots and embed them in presentations, send them to others, etc. (as per tj3).

I am roughly in the same boat as you are. I installed tj2 because the tk3 manual says it is still unstable, but it's not an ideal solution for me, as I have everything running on a mac, with tj2 running in an ubuntu virtual machine (because of the Qt requirement).

..and in addition, I found that the exporter for tj2 - which does 90% of what I need - was none the less missing a couple of features, so I started adding them. Specifically I fixed:

        - The project node was confused with the top task node.
          I changed it so that the project gets its own node. Needed because...
- The project now respects an end date or a duration specified on the project node - I made the TODO state export as a flag so that you can use it to filter reports
          (eg generate a pending tasks or an in-progress tasks report)
- There was no way to easily add reports or other globals, besides customizing
          variables, so I added a globals and reports node.
- There was no way to handle taskjuggler features that the exporter doesn't know about, like scenarios. I fixed this by making a :TJ: drawer, into which you can dump any taskjuggler code you like (on any node), so that even if the exporter doesn't support a feature you want, you can still make it work from org-mode.

I've only just got this working, and I haven't written a single line of documentation for it, except for code comments.

- is there any progress on an exporter for tj3?

My original thought was to post my changes here as a patch, to be tested and hacked on by the group. Maybe it would be smarter to just change it into a taskjuggler3 exporter? I just looked through "moving from 2 to 3" section of the taskjuggler manual. On first glance, it looks like the semantic changes won't bother the exporter, and that the syntactic changes are relatively minor. So I am willing to give it a whirl.

Given the foregoing, two questions for the group:

1. Is anyone interested in the changes I've made for tj2? I unfortunately don't have time to document them, except in point form as above, but I am happy to put together a patch and send it to the list for others to bang away on. 2. Carsten, would you be interested in these changes, and/or a taskjuggler3 exporter?

Thanks,

  -Anthony