Re: [Orgmode] Xemacs installation, some clarification (21.4 and 21.5)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Xemacs installation, some clarification (21.4 and 21.5)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:52:55 +0200

On Oct 14, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

Hello

It seems that even the most recent org version can be
compiled either under Xemacs 21.5.X or under Xemacs
21.4.X[1], provided the following two criteria are met:

   -  The Makefile is modified like this:

,----
| BATCH=$(EMACS) -batch -q -no-site-file - eval \ | "(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name \"./lisp/\") (cons(expand-file-name \"./xemacs\") (cons \"$(lispdir)\" load- path))))"
`----

Hi Uwe,

what does the (expand-file-name \"./xemacs\") do? The Org distribution no longer contains an xemacs directory.

   -  org-freemind is modified by commenting out the
      (require 'rx)!

This is annoying. It is possible to expand the rx calls and inline the resulting regular expressions, but I guess Lennart would not want me to do this. For me, rx regexps are more difficult to read than string ones because I have been working with the string represenations for such a long time.

You know what, I am going to ask Lennart if he would object....

I'll get back to you

- Carsten

It is important to note, that rx cannot be used. I loaded rx
and tried to compile org-freemind  (with require 'rx)
or I included rx in the xemacs directory and run the Make
file in all cases I obtained.

,----
| While compiling org-freemind-convert-links-from-org:
|   !! Wrong type argument ((listp ?\[))
`----

Which looks serious.

In any case with this workaround some functionality is
missed but you obtain a working org installation.

I suggest to add this to the documentation in

http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-1_1_2

regards

Uwe Brauer
Footnotes:
[1]  I only tried it with mule support I am not sure about
    No Mule.