Re: [Orgmode] org-insert-heading

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-insert-heading
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:14:33 +0200

Am 16.10.2010 07:30, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
Hi Andreas,

On Oct 15, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Hi,

doku of `org-insert-heading' says:

,----
| If point is not at the beginning, do not split the line,
| but create the new headline after the current line.
`----

which sounds wisely.

Unfortunately function behaves different, splits line
uses it's following part to create the new headline
from, an inconvenience, resp. bug IMHO.

Also tex-info endorses that:

,----
| When this command is used in
| the middle of a line, the line is split and the rest of the line
becomes
| the new address@hidden you do not want the line to be split,
| customize the variable
`----

In fact, splitting the line is the intended behavior, and there is a
variable
to change that.

I have updated the docstring of the command.

- Carsten

Hi Carsten,

as far as your time permits, would think it's useful to keep this point
for a style discussion.

For me, that's a classical way Emacs handles things, but it's a classical fault too. The reason, why Emacs is censored having a steep learning curve, get its rumour being difficult is just here IMHO.

Well, OTOH success of Emacs and org-mode itself are against me.
Finally I use Emacs myself,  so it can't be that grave.

So what's wrong writing programs that way at this point?

I'll leave the answer open for now.
Want to see if I'm the only way raising that concern.
Meanwhile I use the variable....

Cheers

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Seems something across anyway. Suggest to restore/enable the
behaviour of the doku-string. Could send a patch.

Interesting to read the reason for this change/difference anyway, so
maybe I change my opinion too...

Thanks all

Andreas