[Orgmode] Re: C-c / r key-setting bug (?)

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: C-c / r key-setting bug (?)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:52:31 +0200

On Oct 21, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Am 21.10.2010 12:51, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
Hi Andreas,

On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Hi Carsten,

key-setting below looks like a bug

if

C-c /, org-sparse-tree

is set, there is no chance calling

C-c / r

as the first already matches (?)

C-c / will prompt for another key and then dispatch depending on that key.
Many do.

Hmm, that would fit into the already mentioned coding-style category.
Is it wise to do it that way?
For example M-x describe-mode fails telling about these keys.
Are reasons for this?

Yes.  There are not enough keys, unless I introduce a larger number
of full-scale prefix keys. And it is much easier to remember just `C- c /' and then get a friendly prompt for a number of options. For interactive use, I think this is just perfect.

Now, if you want to write programs based on these functions, then you
want to have the real command names. This is one of the reasons why I like to have them in the manual, for look up.

Sincerely undecided here, just a question.

To simplify you work, you can just leave these keys unchanged in the
manual,and I will take a look at those later.

Remains something to do anyway IMHO.

First a creating command is mentioned, after it says "showing".

@orgcmd{C-c /,org-sparse-tree}
This prompts for an extra key to select a sparse-tree creating command.

;;;;;;;

@kindex C-c / r
@item C-c / r
@vindex org-remove-highlights-with-change
Occur. Prompts for a regexp and shows a sparse tree with all matches. If

In this end, this should simply be

@orgcmd{C-c / r, org-occur}

Because the dispatcher command will call this command after "r" has been pressed.

But as I said, I can do these indirect calls pretty easily, I know most of them by heart.

- Carsten