[Orgmode] Re: Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + comp

From: John Hendy
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Was "...questions about...email" -> orgmode + email + company firewall
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:12:53 -0500

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Noorul Islam K M <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>

> I followed the conversation about email writing with org-mode and *loved*
> it. I would absolutely like to live in emacs for email as it offers so many
> neat tricks. My problem has to do with how to set up pop/imap access while
> at work. I can use the web interface just fine, but I've never succeeded in
> using a client trying to access via pop/imap (like Thunderbird) and have
> simply figured it was due to firewall.
>
> Recently, I was finally able to get Thunderbird working since their webmail
> extension [1] added gmail support. I just succeeded with pop (I'd prefer
> imap, though, but apparently it's not possible).
>
> My question is whether gnus or some other text-based email program that
> emacs can use has some method of doing whatever this webmail extention is
> doing. I think it's somehow going through port 80 and getting messages that
> way, but I could be mistaken. In the past, I've tried "telnet
> imap.gmail.com993" and "telnet
> pop.gmail.com 995" and never been able to connect.

It looks like at you work place they are blocking imaps and pops
ports. I think you should be contacting System/Network Admin at your
office for this.

True... though this is why I referenced the webmail extension. It works. I wondered if there was anything like that for other types of email systems. At a company of 70k employees world-wide and 10k at my location... I'm not planning on asking them to open up some ports for me :)

John

Thanks and Regards
Noorul