Re: [Orgmode] org-capture adds newline(s) when it should not

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-capture adds newline(s) when it should not
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 06:35:54 +0200

On Oct 26, 2010, at 6:29 AM, Noorul Islam wrote:

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 25, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Noorul Islam wrote:

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Noorul Islam <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Marcel van der Boom <address@hidden >
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of migrating from org-remember to org-capture.
Pretty easy going so far, but it seems org-capture adds newlines, which
I think it should not do.

My (test) capture-template is:

(("t" "Todo" entry
 (file "~/.outlet/GTD.org")
 "* TODO %?" :prepend t :empty-lines 0)

with the intention of inserting the captured task on the
first line of the file ~/.outlet/GTD.org. What happens when I capture
an task is this:

<beginning of file>

* TODO Captured task

<original first line of file here>

Both before and after the task is a newline. Also, when capturing and cancelling the capture with C-c C-k the newlines remain whereas the
task is removed.

I'm using the latest git version with emacs 24.0.50.1 on Ubuntu 10.10

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I do not have Emacs 24 as of now.

With the same template I am not able to re-create this on

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.832.gf7094)
GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12)
 of 2010-01-30 on noorul

On emacs 24 I am able to re-create the problem Marcel reported.

I find that puzzling. What might have changed in Emacs 24 to cause such
differences?  I do not use Emacs 24 on a day-to-day basis yet.

On emacs 24 (newline 0) inserts a new line which I think is incorrect.

Sounds like a but to me too.
For now I am working around this in the latest git version.

Marcel, this should be fixed.  Could you please submit a bug report
to Emacs 24, stating that (newline 0) does insert a newline?

Thanks!

- Carsten

Thanks and Regards
Noorul