Re: [Orgmode] TikZ to separate file (babel?) possible?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] TikZ to separate file (babel?) possible?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:34:03 -0500

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:58:41 -0500, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
>
> [2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Hi John,
>
>     In the case you describe I would export the *code* of the tikz latex
>     block rather than the file resulting from evaluating the block.
>
> Code = raw LaTeX/TikZ code? If so, I don't really care about that. i just want the graphic.

Yes but the point is that, if I understand the processes involved
correctly, the export and babel routes each generate different latex
code.  Babel does *not* look at the document wide settings whereas
export does.  This is why Eric is suggesting you export the babel code
so that it is interpreted by the latex document that results from
exporting the whole org document.  Otherwise, make sure the settings
you want are within the latex source code block?

That makes more sense, though if I export the code into the larger LaTeX document, I'm left where I started, I believe. An 8.5x11 exported PDF with my diagram in the middle of it.

If it's just getting the right code into the babel block, that's helpful to know. Perhaps the easiest way to put it is this: what is the best path to obtain the following:

- a single pdf output of my TikZ diagram, cropped to fit the diagram
- the font used in the TikZ diagram that I desire (preferably from the doc)

Again, my use-case is one in which I have daily notes or a paper with a diagram but also would like to preserve the diagram for reuse. With babel, it appears this should be possible -- I can both export normally and have the graphic in the paper or send the TikZ section alone to export and use the graphic in a presentation or elsewhere.

I wondered about what you said re. putting the settings in the latex source code block, and I was actually fiddling around with that yesterday. My font is simply set like so (present in the examples I posted earlier):

#+latex_header: \usepackage{lmodern}
#+latex_header: \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cmss}

But I tried putting variations of this in the babel block (without the #+latex_header part, of course) with no success.

These didn't work for me:

#+begin_src latex :file flow-chart.pdf :packages '(("" "tikz")) :border 1em
\usepackage{lmodern}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cmss}

or

#+begin_src latex :file flow-chart.pdf :packages '(("" "tikz" "lmodern")) :border 1em
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cmss}

or

#+begin_src latex :file flow-chart.pdf :packages '(("" "tikz lmodern")) :border 1em
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cmss}

I haven't found anything at ob-doc-latex covering how to pass package arguments or include LaTeX settings directly in the babel block. My attempts at the renewcommand end up with "cmss" ending up in my TIkZ graphic somewhere...

Thanks for persisting with me!
John

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D