[Orgmode] Re: Using capture to add plain text under a headline

From: Toby
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Using capture to add plain text under a headline
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:45:19 +0000 (UTC)

Noorul Islam <noorul <at> noorul.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Axis <axis <at> gmx.ch> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having a struggle capturing a plain text item under a headline; it
> > always gets added to the bottom of the file. List items or org entries can
> > be stowed away properly without a problem, i.e.
> >
> > ("e" "Event" entry (file+headline "~/org/agenda.org" "Events") "* %? %^T")
> >
> > works but
> >
> > ("b" "Birthdays" plain (file+headline "~/org/agenda.org" "Birthdays")
> > "%\\%(diary-anniversary %? mm dd yy) turns %d")
> >
> > doesn't.
> >
> > Any clues as to what might go wrong here or how else I could add a line of
> > plain text to a headline?
> >

> I am not able to understand what you are trying to convey. Can you
> provide some examples?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Noorul

Hi Noorul,

thanks for your quick reply. The lines of init.el code were actually meant to be
examples. I have been trying to set up templates for the new org-capture
function. I keep an agenda file with different headlines for events, birthdays
etc. What I now would like to do is add birthdays using the capture mechanism as
sexp-lines under the birthdays-headline of this agenda file. For events I don't
use sexp entries but regular org-entries with a timestamp, which are filed away
under the correct heading without a hitch. If I try to do the same with my sexp
lines, - e.g. %\\%(diary-anniversary 10  2 1869) Mahatma Gandhi would be %d
years old - (which apparently cannot be added as org entries in order to be
still recognized as sexp expressions but have to be added as plain text), they
always end up at the end of the file, rather than at the end of the headline.
Hope this made things a little more clear. I'm currently using org-mode 7.01h on
a windows machine by the way.

Thanks,
 Toby